Sunday, July 25, 2010

Apple Pancake Casserole

What you need:
•3 tart apples
•1/3 stick butter
•3 Tbs. sugar
•pancake mix (and water, milk, oil, or eggs, as directed)
•extra touches (optional; see below)

What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Peel apples and cut into wedges. In a medium-sized skillet, melt butter, then add apples and
sugar. Cook at medium-high heat until tender, about 4 to 6 minutes. Spoon apples and juices into
an oven-safe casserole dish.
3. Prepare batter for 10-12 pancakes (usually one cup of mix), following package directions. Kids can help measure and mix.
4. If you like, add extra touches to the batter. Try these ideas or make up your own:
•Apple Mania: dried apples, applesauce, cinnamon
•Brisk Weather Warmer: pecans, maple syrup
•Circus Circus: caramel candy, chocolate chips
•Comfort Casserole: walnuts, raisins
5. Pour the batter on top of the apples. Bake until brown and puffy, about 20-30 minutes.
6. Serve hot or cold.
this recipe is from Scholastic.com.

I just tried this (10-11-2006) I had some peaches that I just
bought but were a bit mealy and not great to just eat. Rather than
throw them out I decided to cook them…so I thought I’d try this.
I used 4 peaches with butter, sugar, and cinnamon in a skillet.
Layered cooked peaches in 9x13, then poured the pancake mix
over top. I used the heart smart bisquick. The pancake recipe
on back called for milk and 1 egg…make 14 pancakes…I figured
that was close enough. It’s awesome…the kids gobbled it up. It
seemed like cobbler and we ate it as desert, so I served it with
whipped cream.

No comments: