Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Criss Cross Applesauce

This summer, our family went to the Gravenstein Apple Fair. Gravenstein apples taste like my Grandma's applesauce. In Daily City, and again in Napa, the trees in their backyard were Gravenstein. We just had to buy 2 bushels. That's roughly 160 apples.


We drove home in a car that smelled like apples. Quickly, I tried to see how many would fit in my fridge. The rest became applesauce right away. Gravensteins have a short shelf life.
1/8 the apples, fill a pot, add a little water at the bottom of the pan, bring to a boil, stir and simmer until you have applesauce.

Here's what you'll have after cooking. Now all you need is a foley food mill.

I don't have an after photo, but the food mill takes out the seeds, stems, and peels leaving you with smooth applesauce that tastes just like my Gram's. YUM!

No comments: